Welcome to Diane's Blog - Canning and Cooking at Home
I saw a wonderful post by Deanna over at 'Seduction in the Kitchen' on "Skillet Dishes." 'Skillet Chicken and Dumplings' was one of her shared recipes/posts from 'Spend with Pennies' and caught my eye. The preparation on this recipe looked simple and quick (and who doesn't like that on busy days!) While their recipe uses pre-made biscuits, I opted to make the drop type ones I have been making for quite some time now...to me they are just as easy to make as popping open a can. Great thing is, you decide what works for you - it all tastes great!
I used my smaller cast iron dutch oven for this recipe as it has a heavy lid for going into the oven and creating a nice steam for my dumplings but, you can certainly use a cast iron skillet and cover it with foil (just make sure to get a tight seal.) I hope you make and enjoy this as much as we did - in my husbands words "you can make this ANYTIME!" ~Enjoy! Diane
Chicken & Dumplings
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrot
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Pillsbury biscuits (see note below)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an ovenproof or cast iron skillet or dutch oven, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until softened.
3. Add carrot, celery cook a few minutes and add chicken broth. Let simmer about 4 minutes until veggies are slightly softened. In a bowl, combine chicken, cream of chicken soup and parsley. Stir into carrot mixture in the skillet.
4. Cut each biscuit in half and place in skillet on top of chicken mixture or make homemade "drop" biscuits (see below).
5. Bake 15 minutes, covered with foil if using skillet (use lid if making in a dutch oven) then remove lid/foiland bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve hot.
If you cannot find Pillsbury biscuits, you can substitute homemade biscuits in their place. (see below)
Homemade "Drop" Biscuits
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup milk
Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in butter with fork, until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough. Tear dough into 6 pieces, roll slightly into ball, flatted and lay ontop of Chicken mixture. Makes 6 biscuits.
Chicken /Dumpling Recipe Adapted from: Spend with Pennies
Biscuit Recipe Adapted from: Carol/Allrecipes
Photos by: Diane Baker for Canning and Cooking at Home
~ To print or save any recipe - click on the Recipe Title/Heading, let load and then hit the button below ~
Diane Baker: Owner & Creator of Canning and Cooking at Home